- Avoid prepackaged foods and opt for loose produce instead! The loose produce is most likely fresher, and therefore, much better for you! Did you know most apples that come in plastic packages were picked at least 6 months ago? Do you really want to eat a 6 month old apple? And even if you do have plastic containers, reuse them!
- Pick the ugly produce that gets left behind. The tomato that is a little darker on the outside will taste exactly the same as the other tomatoes. Seriously, they all taste the same.
- Make sure you store fruits and vegetables in the right place to make sure they last for as long as they can. Peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, and squashes are to be kept at room temperature. Ripen apples and avocados on the counter and then store them in the fridge. You should also store potatoes and onions in a cool, dark place.
- Use extra vegetables to make soups, stir-fries, and vegetable stock. You can also freeze the soup for 2-3 months to enjoy later.
- Freeze berries before they go bad, they last for 10-12 months! They’re great for healthy smoothies!
Here’s the video I got these from if you’d like to take a peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-smxpp_U8